Friday, October 29, 2010

Spinx Run Fest ~ the REDEMPTION Marathon!

Inspiration Points...
Marathon #47, State #44!
1. Redemption is Mine!!! This is my 2nd attempt at a SC marathon, because the Myrtle Beach Marathon was cancelled at 11pm the night prior for a few flurries of snow that turned out to be a beautiful day! This is the ONLY race I've signed up for that I was unable to complete (albeit I wasn't allowed to start either).
2. Last New State! As you know I have number of races lined up, but a lot of them are "repeat" states. This is the last NEW state I have until December. Just gotta get it finished!
3. Race 4 of 5 in a Row!... Ouch... especially following a trail 50K last weekend! 
4. Gary and Morgan hit 50!!!! I have spoken about them before, but my fav marathon couple (Maniacs and 50 staters) will be finishing their 50th state together. All together now *AWWWWW*
5. Running in Costume! Since this is Halloween weekend AND the Marine Corp Marathon weekend, I'll be running this race dressed as a Marine! (Pics to come)

SC Race RUNdown...
Spinx Run Fest Marathon ~ Saturday October 30, 2010. (#43) 8:00am Marathon Start
Greenville, SC ~ Greenville Drive Stadium
Registration Fees: $65-$85 Early ($95 late) Availability: All Races. Register here.
Year Running: 6th
Races Available: Full, Half and 5K
2010 Expected Field: 1,500 cap! 717 total currently signed up, 268 Female
20098 Field:  234 (there are no 2009 results.... cancelled?
... Females: 78  ... Age Group: NA
2009 Avg. Finish Time: 4:21:18
Certified Course/BQ Certified?: Yes/Yes
Cutoff Time and Early Start Option: 6-Hr Cut-off time. No indication of an early start?
Weather Update: It has been looking cold, but they just posted the forecast as a little warmer. Low of 48 and a high of 69 and sunny. That should be pretty perfect!

Course:
MarathonGuide Rating: 
They describe the course as a winding loop on city roads and paved trails, followed by 6-miles on the "swamp rabbit trail"-- I have NO idea what that means! The first 13 is flat with a few short steep hills, and the last 13 is relatively flat. The last mile is a pretty good uphill shot, judging by the elevation chart. 


Race 411:
~ GUN TIME WTF??? Apparently they base all age group award on GUN time... who does that?
~ 8 Aids! There will be 8 aid stations along the course (that s/b plenty) with 2 that have gels available (they haven't specified what KIND of gel...)
~ Uh-oh Potties! Potties are available at every other rest stop. If every rest stop is 26.2/8 = 3.3 X 2 = 6.6... Every 6.6 miles? Yikes! No Bueno!
~Skipped a Year! I don't know WHAT happened... but it seems like this race skipped the full marathon alltogether in 2009. I'm trying to get the scoop on what happened. 

Race Plan:
This is my last new state and my 4th in a series of 5, following an ultra trail race. I'm definitely a little tight, but (as always) I hope to go under 4:00! If I feel good... I'll go harder!
Goals... 
1) Get a "jumping jack picture" like Dave Mari always does! 
(Pic Right... Mari doing what Mari does)
2) Finish with all the costume accessories I started with



Throw Back! Bring it back now ya'll...
Reverse the Countdown!
This is my 44th marathon-state, meaning I have 7 to go including this race. What was going on around state #7!?!? I was running the Vermont City Marathon! And how did that go?... oh it just broke my heart was all! No seriously-13 SECONDS over BQ Time left me inconsolable. Luckily... since then I've qualified like 5 times?... SMASHING my VT time! Woohoo. 

This time in 2009...
Last year I was taking a week off after my first triple marathon month. I had finished Louisville the week before and I was gearing up for the OBX Marathon which I absolutely loved! It was pirate themed and a lot of fun running with CB! Ok, ok, she may have pulled an ab muscle and I was a mean tyrant, making her finish, but it was still fun spending time with her! 

Meet up Info: 
Brent- Meet ya at the airport
Nancy- Meet ya at the hotel
Morgan/Gary/MM's- Meet ya at the Start!
... If you're not on here and you're going to be at Spinx let me know!!!!

Happy Racing!
Stephanie
"Run to Win"-Meb

5 comments:

  1. "jumping jack picture" - awesome. Love that. May have to copy that one!

    Have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND you met me - Hill aka Sacco in Vermont (heartbreaking as it was) and again in Outer Banks! :) Have a great Halloween race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been having fun and a lot more to come. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Can't wait to hear how the race went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I haven't actually decided for sure on White Rock yet. There's a big half here next wknd, and I'm deciding after that. I'll either do the full or cheer for the full, but can show you and your mom the Dallas highlights either way! Congrats on another state down in SC!

    ReplyDelete