Ok party people. I only had a few responses to the "Great Marathon" debate... This is the updated list so far. Any others?? I knowwww there are more great marathons out there. Read the post below, but we're looking for marathons that have a certain something about them that make them stick out! Fast course? Great sites? Wonderful organization or crowd support?? We need your input!
1) Disney Marathon ~ Orlando, FL ~ January. The magic of the parks is inserted directly into the event. I've never experienced more excitement around a race in my life! Karen agrees and Marlene recommends trying the Goofy Challenge!
2) Flying Pig Marathon ~ Cincinnati, OH~ May. This race is MADE for new runners. The whole city gets into the race, bringing excitement throughout. BEST SWAG with T-shirt, Poster, and some sort of bag (Duffel, messenger, etc). Karen agrees!
3) Little Rock Marathon ~ Little Rock, AR ~ March. Best Medals! Giant medals every year and a ridiculous (optional) perks tents with the best Post-Race Food!
4) Bataan Memorial Death March ~ White Sands, NM ~ March. Run for the inspiration!! The view of thousands of service men and women running with heavy rucks up a mountain is crazy! You'll never experience anything like it.
5) Mayor's Marathon~ Anchorage, AK ~ Chase recommends this race for the views and landscape!
6) OBX Marathon (and half)~ Outter Banks, NC~ November. Go for the Ocean view and the flat flat course! I also recommend it for the high energy of the organizers from packet pick-up to post race party!
7) Richmond's SunTrust Marathon~ Richmond, VA ~ November. Chase recommends for the great organization handled by the local running clubs as well as major crowd support!
8) Pikes Peak! ~ Pikes Peak, CO~ August. Run for the Challenge (and for the O2 you'll need halfway up!) Jill agrees!
9) Big Sur International Marathon~ Carmel, California~ May. Jill says to run for the view and the challenge! "It's not often you get to run a 2-mile killer hill in 30mph winds and then have 13 more miles of intense hills."
10) St. George~ St. George, UT ~ October. Jill says run for the beauty and the fast PR-potential course!
11) THE Boston Marathon ~ Boston, MA~ April. Run for the history as well as the notoriety of "making Boston."
12) Dallas White Rock~ Dallas, TX~ December. Jill recommends for the ideal weather conditions, great course, and great crowd support!
13) Chicago Marathon~ Chicago, IL~ October. Morgan rec's for the major crowd support and awesome course.
14) New York City Marathon~ New York, NC ~ November. EGB says run it for the crowd support and an amazing tour of NYC!