Tuesday, July 14, 2009

DWD Devil's Lake... Race Ratings & Results

Ratings...
Overall Race Rating (weighted): 4.2/5.0
Average Calculated Rating: 4.5
~ I'm gonna give the weighted average a 4.2... although you should note, I'm probably being a LITTLE partial to my first trail marathon! The lack of medals was HUGE here, and I know I was able to finish with only a few extra miles added on. However, since I'm trying for 50 states, I know I would have been quite angry if I missed a turn and came up short-- missing 26.2 miles and wasting a weekend. Also, I wish the marathon was advertised more! The only reason I knew about it was because somebody put it on the Marathon Maniacs website! Overall though, a great race! Definitely has me hooked on trail races and maybe even an ultra or 2?... we'll see!

Organization: 3.8/5.0
~ The nature of the beast is guiding this rating. Although the course markers were difficult to follow, they WERE laid out correctly... there is no avoiding trail runners getting lost high in the mileage. AND there's always stops to find your way back. Also, they sent out a PACKET of information describing each leg of the course- Elevation, Footing, any misc. odds and ends. Also, at each of the legs runners had to check-in to ensure no runners were lost. AND ther were cookies, candy, treats, even SODA (which I found out helps to settle the stomach).

~Point loss: MEDALS!!! Apprently a LOT of half-marathoners signed up last minute. This is a problem because the marathoners/half-marathoners shared medals and the ultras shared medals. Well since the Halfies finished first they took up all our medals and ours are being mailed to us. If they knew how many of us started they should have held THAT many marathon medals for us! I think any Halfie would understand if they said "sorry the only ones we have left we need to save for the FULL marathoners!" (.2 point loss because I still managed to get lost...)

Course: 5.0/5.0
~ Depending on what you're expecting you would either rate this as very good or very bad! We were fully warned that the course was difficult, there was terrain that would be hard to navigate, and that if we were wimpy we shouldn't go (read an exerpt from the DWD website left). So... the course was just THAT! They were burtally honest and provided us with a challanging course. I would rate this as a 5 because ... if you signed up for this, it was exactly what you're looking for!

Spectators: 3.7/5.0
~ The spectators get a good rating for doing what we needed... NOT being on the course! These small courses couldn't handle any more people besides the runners. Downside? Random people in the park who (from what I could tell) knew a race was going on and would stand on the path in the way. Also, when there were spots spectators could be, they were kind of dead. Being such a small race I can't really BLAME the race, but it is what it is...

Pace Group: DNE and didn't need...

Runner/Corrals: 5.0/5.0
~ No corrals of course, but the runners were awesome! The night prior they pregamed! They're insane athletes (the woman that ran an ironman the week before the ultra), and they're very talkative and encouraging- minus the guy that made fun of me for being a road runner.

Expo: 5.0/5.0
~ No Expo but I'm giving this section a 5 for T-shirts!!!! AWESOME (check out my post-race thoughts post for a pic)

Results... Results are in!
Only THIRTY people finished this race and only 6 women! I know I saw 1 woman WAY lost, looks like she wasn't alone!
Time: 5:05:05 (now THAT is kind of creepy... guess better than triple 6's!)
Place: 9/30
Gender: 1/6
Division: 1/2

1 comment:

  1. The only major disagreement I have is the course markings, specifically the turn markers, not the ribbons. I think some were confusing and ambiguous. I ran with a guy who placed many of the ribbons, so that gave me an unfair advantage. However, I did pay for that advantage. He was maintaining a very difficult pace for me to keep.

    The course WAS awesome! Also, the expo was a 5 out of 5 solely because of the shirt. That shirt rocks! And the women's shirts were even better.

    "BOO!" for no medals! Rules of the trail: 50m > 50k > 26.2m > 13.1m ... "You don't send halfies home with the marathoners' medals!" ... and you sure as h311 don't let them eat all the cheese curd! Refreshments at the finish line was a bit disappointing (but then I'm a whiny roadie!).

    ReplyDelete