Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Perpetual State of OUCH! WS Training ~ Week 8

Last week was my 8th of WS100 training and a much needed "drop down week." Some people have asked me about what this means... 


Drop Down Week. n. in endurance run training this is a reduction in weekly mileage, directly following an increase in mileage for 2 to 4 weeks. This continues to increase mileage for 2 to 4 weeks, and again drop down. These are the weeks for rest and "recovery." 


Why is it much needed? I'm hurting. I really haven't increased my mileage all that much v. last year (completing about 200 miles in January) but I have increased the intensity of my runs-- including more speed and hill sessions, and weight training-- lots of leg strengthening. In addition, the marathons I've been using as "training runs" have been run pretty hard, either fast or on more hilly courses. Nothing in particular hurts, I'm just generally sore and exhausted.


In weeks like this, I look ahead to the mileage and think "ugh"-- then I wonder how I'm going to get through all this training. But, just like a marathon this is a long process and I have to take it 1 mile (day) at a time. Unlike what some of you think (Mel! :P ) I'm no a robot and sometimes even I don't want to train! Also, just like the marathons, it gets easier with time. You can make your body get used to anything as long as you have the will to fight through the tough times like these! 


WS100 Training ~ Week 8
H-Hills  WT-Weight Train  SP- SpeedWork  E-Endurance  HR-Hill Repeats
Notes/Thoughts: It was definitely nice to get a good drop down in mileage, although I didn't take a break from working out, adding a Bikram Yoga session on my would be day off. Coming into week 9, I'm still tired and it's probably from the lack of a break and lack of sleep. I'll focus this week on getting more sleep, vitamins, and TLC on my sore legs. 



Happy Running!
Stephanie
"Run to Win" - Meb
Worried about getting injured? Need a boost in speed to hit a PR? Ask yourself... "Have I done my strength training today?!?"

8 comments:

  1. I just got a coach for my triathlon season, largely because I need someone to force me to take drop down weeks. They're so important for getting better but I'm so terrible at actually doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop down weeks are for sissies!!!!

    Totally kidding... you are a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about making your body do things. How many of us used to think a 5K might as well have been a marathon?

    Happy drop down week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of letting our bodies catch up. I think it is good for the mind too.
    BTW, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love drop down week! After hitting my 80 mile week I was dying. It felt like a breather to only run 50-60 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhh. I love it! I've got a drop down week after the next two weekends. I am pumped for it! I've been trying so hard to rest...and I swear my children are trying to torture me by doing crazy stuff like throwing up all night, and having bad dreams, etc.

    You are doing so well! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DANG. I'm tired just reading your workouts. Can I count it as crosstraining?? :-P Rock on woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodluck o the marathon sunday!.
    You run Sunday?, ore rest!.
    www.rinusrunning.nl

    ReplyDelete