"Philip S.: I just saw your name get picked for Western States! Congratulations and good luck!"
... hahaha...wait...say whaaa?!?! I felt like my hangover had just kicked in again. On my layover in the STL airport I quickly jumped on my phone and pulled up the live feed from the Western States lottery and sure as (you know what) my name was there! First thought "woohoo", Second thought "Uh oh... how did I get myself into THIS?"
Ok yeah I obviously knew it was a possibility as I signed up for the race a few weeks ago. HOWEVER, they sent out an email saying we had over 1500 people throw their names in for the lottery and only about 225 would be selected. So what were the chances I would get picked the first time I throw my name in? I guess pretty good.
What Does This Mean??
This has a few implications as it will be my first 100 miler and happens to be an exceedingly challenging 100 miler. Hehe hey, go big or go home! This is going to cause a lot of changes in my running world...
1) Goals Have Been Set ~ I wasn't sure if I was going to go after one of the 3 things for 2011... 3:15 Marathon, 100 miler, or ironWOman. This entry (for over $300) definitely sets my goals in place. Ironman in 2012??
2) Doubles Back In ~ I'm running RnR Arizona on the GE marathon team, but starting after that my focus comes off speed and goes back onto endurance. Every marathon I run I'll need to run more miles after and a lot more miles the next day (like say another marathon).
3) First Failure? ~ Just because you get into Western States does not mean you will be a finisher. In this race, of the runners that make it to the starting line (which is significantly decreased from the number of runners selected due to training injuries) only about 60-70% finish.
4) Trail Trail Trails ~ I've trained on trails literally 2 times total. Even for my 50 miler on a highly technical trail I did not train on trails. This can't happen for WS. I'll have to up the trail training.
5) More For You! ~ Did you really think after Boston (my 50th state) I would leave you forever? Psshhh silly follower! As always I'll play guinea pig and document all of my training attempts, successes, failures, injuries, etc for well... your entertainment!
On the road to Boston and 50, with a detour on the super highway to Western States 100. Let the journey begin! Status... in Dallas, TX for marathon state #45 and my 50th lifetime marathon/ultra!!!