Saturday, February 13, 2010

Marathon Spirit Shines at the Cancelled Myrtle Beach Marathon!

I thought flying into MB was going to be the more difficult part of this trip. Our flight was cancelled, but somehow we managed to get rebooked on a once "full" flight leaving at 10:30pm. Once we got on the plane and shut the doors the pilot announced that there would be a long wait for a spot to get de-iced. 2.5 hours later we finally took off!!! What's worse? As soon as we got on the plane, myself and several dozen other marathoners get an email saying... the marathon has been cancelled due to "unsafe" weather conditions.

Marathon Spirit!
They took down the mile signs and water stop. They opened the roads up to the cars and told the spectators the race was off. But what did you find this morninig? ... HUNDREDS of half, full, and relay team marathon runners all around the marathon course-- some still running the FULL marathon! The city could call the race off, but they can't stop us from doing our sport!!! There were cars following runners with water, cups, and GU. There were spectators coming out and yelling "good for you!" to the runners!









The "Unsafe conditions":
Right! When I went out to run at 9am the roads and sidewalks were COMPLETELY clear or snow or ice. But 10am it was WARM outside and I had ot shed layers. To the right you can see my "I'm so scared of the HORRIBLE weather conditions" face as I stand on a dry sidewalk and clear road. Hmmm. The city of Myrtle Beach and I need to have a chat!!!

I caught up with some of the marathon runners actually running the marathon on their own. Some started at the 7:00am start and some just started from their hotels on the loop-- they came here to run 26.2 miles and they were going to run 26.2 miles. One woman I ran with was crankin and when I finally looked at my watch I realized I had run over 1.5 extra miles out. Oops. So ~11 miles later I'm back and ready to enjoy Myrtle Beach!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, they cancelled the race?? In those conditions? I guess they were trying to be "safe" but how sad for all you guys who spent a lot of money on a destination race. I hope you have a great time in Myrtle Beach nontheless and here's to a better marathon next time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those southern folks can't handle any type of snow. So the little bit they got meant unsafe conditions to them. Or maybe they were afraid someone would slip, fall, and sue them! Well, enjoy your time there anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...bummer that they canceled it :( But go enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love the spirit of runners. I wonder how many athletes would go on competing if they closed the olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If that's unsafe, then I'm screwed with unsafe running conditions around here..

    Kudos to those who got out and ran anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO frustrating! But so inspiring to see that a cancelled race can't stop the running community from taking to the streets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that people still ran despite it being cancelled! I am a huge OBX fan - even tho we live in CO we vacation in Corolla...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still so pissed. ugh. I heard they gave out finishers medals to those who did the race anyway and went to the finish line. Wish I went :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an ultimate bummer! I feel so bad for everyone. I'm sure they had to make 'the call' well before starting time and erred on the safe side. Enjoy your stay nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Runners Go!!! I ran about 4.5 miles in North Myrtle but, I'm heading out tomorrow for my own 13.1 :) We saw hundreds of people out and about--it was so sad to see people with bibs and timers on their shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not nice they cancelled the marathon!, but running the "wild"marathon is oké.
    I hope next time the marathon go on!.
    Rinus.
    www.rinusrunning.nl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unsafe weather condition? Huh ? Kiss my a$$... Sorry for the foul language. I have run in all kind of weather. This is nothing. Kudos for you and other runners who ran out. I would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I IMMEDIATELY thought of you when I found out about the cancellation. Really tooi bad, but I love the spirit!! Glad you were still able to get your run on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When are you getting in for this weekend's race? I'd love to meet you.

    Consider yourself tagged. See my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry they cancelled the race! The south FREAKS out about snow and they probably thought they were getting what we did here in ATL (~4inches). It shocking how quickly a little snow will shut down the city (I'm a northern).

    Kick some butt in NY!!

    ReplyDelete