Tuesday, February 2, 2010

All over the place-- Vibrams to Frees

Yes, I'm certainly going about my shoe choice out of order. It seems that the logical progression into barefoot running would be normal sneakers, then Nike Free's, and THEN vibrams. But, I always leap before I look.

Vibrams go just when its getting good:
As I said in my last post, I was concerned about being vibram-marathon ready by the Myrtle Beach Marathon (1.5 weeks away). I was still getting a little ache in my ankle with the Vibrams and I don't want to take the risk when I have back to back marathons, 2 weeks in a row.

However, as I went on my run last night I finally found my stride! Yes, you're supposed to run more on the front of your feet wth the vibrams, but I think i was landing at such an angle, I was sort of jamming in my foot/ankle with each stride. Last night, I started out my run with an easy 2 then I picked it up. I found that when I picked it up, my feet were actually pulling further under me rather than reaching out. My legs were picking up, but landed directly underneath me in shorter, yet faster, strides with a big kick back. It felt great and before I knew it, my easy 6 turned into a hard 7.1 at about an 8 min/mile pace.

Nike Free? Possible middle ground?
I knew I wanted to go back to shoes and help support my ankle a little more-- just until these 2 marathons are done and I have a longer break (you know-- a whole 3 weeks) to really get used to the vibrams before declaring them marathon ready. But then I thought...

"What about the time I've put into the vibrams already? What about all the posts I've made on helping my form and building those small running muscles in your feet and ankles? Can I go back  on all that now??"

There has to be a good solution for this... of course there is!! Nike Frees! They're more of a shoe, but still made as a middle ground for barefoot running. I think they'll give me just a LITTLE extra stability I'll need until my ankle is 100%, but still allow me to keep up my barefoot ways. They should be coming this week... cross your fingers that I've found my marathon race shoe solution!!!! Until then, I have 1 more workout in my vibrams (deathmill speed workout) at my hotel when I get to Notre Dame. I'm going for a recruitment day tomorrow and I made sure to get a hotel with a gym so I could get my workout in!! And please, don't tell my vibrams I'm cheating on them-- I would feel horrible if they found out. Off for a 4-5 hour drive (yuck). Wish me luck.

Happy Running,
Stephanie

Give-a-way!!!
Mell (Tall Mom) has a recovery sock give a way!! Yay if you go tell her I sent you :) :) :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm very interested to hear how you do in the Nike's. From what I've read elsewhere, even though they're a minimalist shoe, a lot of people feel "sloppy" (not the word I'm looking for) running in them.

    I've been running in my Vibram's for a few weeks now, and I hate putting regular shoes of any sort on any more. They feel sloppy and I feel unbalanced. It may be the same case with the Nike's.

    But, since you'll be able to get a run or three in with them, that's a good thing. I'm very curious to see how you respond to them.

    Good luck with the races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of the Frees but haven't seen what they look like. Now I'm intrigued so I'm going to Google. :)

    I hope they work out for you!

    And no worries, your secret is safe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pair of frees I use as casual tennis shoes and a pair of cross trainer frees I use for resistance training. I run in my Newtons and I, too, hate wearing regular shoes now. I'm plannin on getting my Vibram KSOs next week. Which ones do you run in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I think you will love the Go! race. I am only doing the half this year, but I did the full last year. It was my favorite marathon yet, and I plan to do it again next year (I am focusing on tris this spring). It does have some rolling hills, but you run through a great park and some cool neighborhoods. Send me an email closer to the date and I can give you some info on the area!

    ReplyDelete