This weekend we are off to Alaska for the "Big Wild Life Runs". The race is held in Anchorage, AK and includes the Humpy's Classic Marathon, the Skinny Raven Half Marathon, and the Snow City 5K. I'll be joined this weekend by MB of course, but we'll also have some special guest appearances by... Grandma! (running the 5K), Aunt Terri! (cheering!) and Cousin Jodi! (aka CJ, or "Groupie #1") running the 5k as well, I believe. It's a family affair at this weekends race... Girls Weekend Out (Alaskan Style).
Gearing Up and Getting Ready
Race Ready? I'm definitely still a little sore from last weekends mountain climbing experience (aka the HURL 50K race). I ran 2 days later and did a spinning class last night to try and loosen the leg muscles and get some of my mileage in on sore legs. I ran a little speed work today to get my turnover back where it should be. I'll get a run in tomorrow (probably an easy 4-5) and try and get 2-3 in on Saturday (Sunday is the race). Hopefully our hotel has a hot tub so I can really get loose!
Alaska Ready? This is definitely a trip rather than just a marathon weekend. We'll be staying Friday-Tuesday (early). I've never been to Alaska (and don't see too many opportunities where I will go again) so I hope to get in as much as possible! MB has been sending us links of things to do in Alaska, such as ride a dog sled and go on a whale watching boat tour. Besides that I haven't had much of a chance to look into anything. Do you know of anything in particular we should do in Anchorage??? Just leave me a comment or send me an email!
10 Reasons Why I'm Excited for Alaska
10. Longer days of sun light-- have you noticed the drive to work getting darker already? :(
9. I get to run a marathon... duh
8. Vacation/Anchorage Exploration... instead of just heading into a town for a race then flying right back after, we'll actually be staying for a few days and will be able to explore all that anchorage has to offer.
7. Hawaii & Silver Medallion! After flying to this race I'll have earned enough delta miles this year to both become a silver medallion member (not sure exactly what that means yet) AND have enough miles to get a free ticket to my Hawaii Marathon!!!
6. Whale/bald eagle/husky/polar bear/penguin... watching... yes, I've been informed that there aren't penguins in Alaska, I'll believe it when I see it!
5. Snoop Dog is in Anchorage!... no joke the 1 and only D-O-Double G!
4. Really Cool shirts for the runs (each race has the same shirt in a different color!)
3. COOL Weather... I've been running in the 90's and 100's it'll be nice to have some cool weather running!
2. I've never been to Alaska!
1. Family trip for just the girls!... we've never had one of these before.
That's all for now. A full race RUNdown coming in the next day or 2!